A transcript of yesterday’s main GOP Debate in Boulder, CO will be found here. I mention this at the outset so those who desire can read the candidates’ comments unfiltered by media reports.
Following are several snippets from the debate:
- Huckabee – “…yes, we’ve stolen. Yes, we’ve lied to the American people about Social Security, and Medicare.”
- Paul: “The main problem with Medicare right now is that the average person pays in taxes over their whole lifetime about $100,000. But the average person takes out about $350,000.”
- “Medicare” appears 30 times in the transcript. Search “medicare” in the transcript to see who says what.
- Trump: “We’re going to bring jobs back from Japan, we’re going to bring jobs back from China, we’re going to bring, frankly, jobs back from Mexico where, as you probably saw, Nabisco is leaving Chicago with one of their biggest plants, and they’re moving it to Mexico.”
- Fiorina: “75 percent of the American people think the federal government is corrupt. I agree with them. And this big powerful, corrupt bureaucracy works now only for the big, the powerful, the wealthy and the well-connected.”
- Paul: “…I left my medical practice and ran for office because I was concerned about an $18 trillion debt. We borrow a million dollars a minute.”
- Carson: “…we have 645 federal agencies and sub-agencies. Anybody who tells me that we need every penny and every one of those is in a fantasy world.”
- Fiorina: “Let me just say on taxes, how long have we been talking about tax reform in Washington, D.C.? We have been talking about it for decades. We now have a 73,000-page tax code. There have been more than 4,000 changes to the tax plan since 2001 alone…Almost 60 percent of American people now need to hire an expert to understand their taxes.”
- Rubio: “We have a $19 trillion bipartisan debt and it continues to grow as we borrow money from countries that do not like us to pay for government we cannot afford.”
- Paul: “They’re taking money from Social Security and they’re going to spend it on the military and they’re going to spend it on domestic spending.”
- Christie: “The government has lied to you and they have stolen from you. They told you that your Social Security money is in a trust fund. All that’s in that trust fund is a pile of IOUs for money they spent on something else a long time ago.”
- Kasich: “We need to have stronger families. We need to know who our neighbors are.”
- Bush: “You have to reform Social Security, and the simple way to do it is to make sure that the wealthiest don’t receive the same benefits as people that are lower-income.”
- Cruz: “This deal in Washington is an example of why Washington’s broken. Republican leadership joined with every single Democrat, add $80 trillion to our debt to do nothing to fix the problems.”